Friday, December 10, 2010

4 Year and 4 Month Dr. Visits

Oh the drama.

If you're counting, you will realize that Megan turned 4 about 6 weeks ago.  So, that means we are about 6 weeks late in taking her to her 4 year well child check.  There is a good reason for this you see.  I was dreading seeing my baby girl scared and crying in my arms as she anticipated her shots.  I was dreading possibly having to wrestle Megan down to the table in order to get her shots.  I was dreading possibly having to cover my ears as she screamed bloody murder.  I was dreading possibly getting the shot in my own leg because she made a stealthy flinching move to avoid it herself.

Well, I was right.

Except, I didn't get it in my leg.  The rest of the above, did in fact happen though.

Three bandaids later, I had a girl ready to go get her ice cream that I bribed her with.  Although looking back at it, I'm not really sure if I won that bribe since she didn't willingly (at all) take the shots.  Oh well, I got a scoop of chocolate peanut butter out of the deal.

During the appointment Dr. Kendall asked Megan some questions and had her draw some things on the paper.  She wanted to know if she recognized her shapes, could draw them, recognize letters and numbers and knew her colors.  Megan did better than she expected however there might be a question of Megan being a bit color blind.  I've noticed for awhile now that Megan always says red for green and green for red.  Well, she did the same thing that day.  Dr. Kendall just said it's not really a problem except for the whole driving thing!

I won't share Megan's weight since I'm not sure when it becomes inappropriate to divulge a woman's weight, but do know, she is a healthy little girl.  She is 41" tall so I guess that's 3 feet 5 inches?  Don't judge me.

Joshua also had his 4 month check up this week.  It's probably more dramatic for mommy than it is for him at this point.  He was smiling and cooing all the way up till he got his THREE shots in his tiny little legs.  Poor little mister.  I'm pretty sure that if I was ever in need of a godmother, our doctor would take our kids in a heartbeat.  She loves them and wanted to know if we were going to have any more since they come out so cute.  (Yes, I do say so myself.)

Joshua is 18.5 lbs (96%), 26.5" tall (92%) and head circumference is 17.5" (94%).  He's grown 2 inches in height, one inch around his head and gained about 3 pounds since his 2 month check up.  He's doing just fine!  Compared to Megan at his age they are very similar.  Joshua is just a bit bigger than she was in all areas.  I asked about giving him some cereal in his milk at night and she said it would be fine.  He's waking up more at night again and it might be because he needs some more food to keep him asleep!  It was a perfect bill of health and he'll go back at 6 months!

Oh, Joshua rolled over back to tummy for the first time on 11/30.  Dr. Kendall says that's the hard one so he'll probably roll tummy to back no problem, we just have to give him more tummy time.  He also grabbed his little toes for the first time at his check up.  I've noticed he reaches for toys now when we hold them in front of him.  His dexterity is still not great (give him a break) but he can hold on to things and pull them to his mouth.  Everything goes in his mouth.  He will be getting a tooth soon, we can see the little thing trying to poke through on his bottom gum.  I love his gummy grin, I don't want teeth!!

No comments: