Saturday, May 02, 2009

Las Vegas

Josh and I have had a trip to Vegas planned for several months and finally the time came! We were very excited but I was also very nervous, I think the actual feeling of taking off in the plane hit me harder than I expected. Well, I didn't expect anything but all of the sudden I had the overwhelming anxiety about the fact that I was flying out of state, away from Megan. The farthest I've been from her is about a 4 hour drive. I knew she was safe of course and I knew we would return home safe. When we made it to Las Vegas, I called my dad to see where he was. He and my stepmom, Teresa were meeting us there. He just got a new motorcycle and decided they would drive it up from Phoenix. Unfortunately right before we got to the hotel, he had gotten a phone call from my aunt telling him that my grandmother had had a heart attack and was taken to the hospital. Information was hard to get at that time but my dad ultimately decided that it would be safer for them not to jump right back on the bike to drive back but to wait for the morning. So that night my dad suggested that we go to Fremont Street. It is the original Vegas strip. Of all of his trips there, he had never been and Josh and I had really never been either. So thats where we headed first. The city paid for a huge canopy/screen to be built over the city street and the city street to be turned into a pedestrian walkway. This is where the "cowboy" is that you always see in the movies. It was pretty cool to see. They do shows on the screen every hour starting at 8:00. We watched that show and then had a really good dinner together. By that time, it was the 10:00 show which was a tribute to Queen.










After Fremont Street we took a cab back to the strip and made it just in time to see the fountain show at the Bellagio.
I had my camera on the wrong setting so unfortunately this picture isn't very clear.
The volcano at the Mirage.
On Tuesday morning, Dad and Teresa decided they would go back to Phoenix. Dad thought he could drive better without Teresa on the back so he took the motorcycle and she caught a flight home. So that meant that Josh and I were on our own. We took the bus down to the MGM and started walking our way back towards our hotel. We saw the lions at the MGM which was pretty cool. The place they are laying is actually glass so you could walk underneath and see them.
We also walked around New York New York and think it would be a fun place to stay sometime.

And of course we went to M&M World in honor of Megan. She would have loved that place!

We made it back down to our end and went into Circus Circus to see how it compared to the Reno one. We have both been there. We grabbed a drink and waited for their show that was about to start. We thought it was going to be trapeze stuff but instead it was a couple doing very odd and hard things with their bodies! Sort of like the Circus Circus version of Cirque de Soleil! And Free!

Tuesday was the night that we (my dad, Teresa and I) were going to go see Cher! Josh thought he could find something better to do! Well, fortunately for him he HAD to come with me since Dad and Teresa had to leave early. We got all dressed up and made it to Caesar's Palace only to find out that they wouldn't let us take our cameras in. I was SO bummed. So....I went to Vegas to see Cher and all I got was....a stupid picture off of a website.

It was really neat to see her though. Once I reminded Josh that she was in her 60s I think he appreciated the show a little more. She changed after just about every song and kept the audience entertained with more Cirque De Soleil type of stuff from her dancers. I wish Dad and Teresa were there but we still had fun! Thank you guys!

After the concert we walked to the Venetian and took a gondola ride. That was fun too except we had a bit of an odd couple riding along with us. Enough so that we thought it may have been worth it to pay the extra money for a private boat. Oh well. I looked a lot cuter earlier in the evening too! I had the false eyelashes and everything but my eyes were being stupid and watering so I had to rip them off after the concert. I look sleepy here because I'm supposed to have those lashes on!

We were leaving on Wednesday and it seemed like it was the nicest weather since we'd been there. People were actually at the pool and I was really jealous. We slept in, had breakfast and checked out. Then we went back to Circus Circus and toured around a little more and then waited for a spot for Josh to play Blackjack at a $2 table (we're big spenders). Finally he was able to sit down and then after awhile, I got a little more comfortable and someone else gave up their seat and I sat down. We played for a couple of hours and of course were up and down the whole time. By the time we left to catch the shuttle to the airport, we were only down $6. Not too bad for a couple of hours of entertainment!

As we were waiting for the shuttle, I called my dad to see what was going on in Phoenix. He said that his mom had passed away at about 1:30 that day. He was able to see her before though so that was good. Unfortunately I never really got to know her, mostly because we barely ever lived in the same state. My sadness is mostly for my dad and his loss. It was also good to see him and Teresa even just for the day. We love you guys and thanks for everything!

2 comments:

Danielle said...

I'm so glad you guys had a good time! I've been dying to see your post! (Of course, it would make much more sense to call you and see how the trip was). I thought NY NY was fun, too - we had pizza and a beer there at midnight. Can't wait to hear more! Welcome back to what is apparently monsoon season in Oregon.

Tami said...

I'm glad you guys had fun! And I had fun with Megan while you were gone!