Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Josh's First Triathlon

Josh competed in his first triathlon at the Blue Lake Triathlon this last weekend.  I am so glad that I got to go and watch, I wouldn't have missed it for the world.  He has worked really hard over the last few months and did a great job on Saturday.  This was a Sprint Triathlon so that means first a 1/2 mile swim, followed by a 12 mile bike ride and then a 5k run.  He felt really good about it all and can't wait for his next race.  My sister Tami and her husband Devin came to watch with me which I know meant a lot to Josh and they were such a big help with the kids for me too!  It's always helpful to have extra hands and Devin did a great job taking pictures in one area while I was in another.  Josh was inspired by his sister Kathy who had done several of these races now and they did this one together.  So not only were we watching Josh, we got to watch Kathy and her friend Penny as well.  Megan loved it all and was such a good girl for it really having nothing to do with her.  Luckily the race was at a huge park with playgrounds that she could play on while we were waiting for someone to come in.  Joshua was also a really good trooper.  I am very intrigued by the idea of doing one someday but the swim is really intimidating to me!  I don't know if I could swim a lap without drowning or at least wanting to die. We'll see.  Kathy has convinced me to do a relay triathlon with her but I will probably stay on land and do the running and/or biking.  I think it will be less stressful for everyone.  Seeing that distance marked with buoys on the open water is VERY intimidating!  Here are some pictures of the day!

 
 Josh, Kathy and Penny
 Josh coming in from his swim.  He says he looked and felt like a drunk leaving the bar at 2:30 a.m.
 We didn't get a shot of him finishing his bike ride, but this is him getting ready to start his run.


And ALL DONE!!!
(I don't know why but Blogger won't let me upload the video of Josh finishing.  But this one is cuter anyway.  And for the same reason, please forgive me for the bad formatting. You get what you pay for.)



 And of course, our little ham.

Since Megan finished the run (all of about 40 feet), she got a "Tri-It Medal" which is more than the others who actually competed in the whole thing!  Josh was very bummed there were no finisher medals for his FIRST finish.
So proud of Josh, Kathy and Penny and I can't wait to see it all again.!

2 comments:

Tami said...

We got a picture of Josh finishing the bike ride. I need to send you the pics we have.

Danielle said...

Way to go! What a very cute and very healthy family. Keep it up! (Maybe one of these days, my lazy family will join you!)