Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Dear Megan (In 20 Years)

Dear Megan,

Last night we elected the first African American President in the history of our country. Last night we elected a President based on his ability to lead and not the color of his skin. Someday you will understand how monumental that is. I did not vote for him because he was black, I voted for him because he stands for what I stand for and I am proud to say that he is our President. Until today, I can honestly say that I never really thought about how much of an impact his election would have from a race perspective. But here is what has dawned on me. 40 years ago, Martin Luther King was murdered because he was black and he was fighting for equal opportunity and today we elected a black man as our country's leader. That is amazing. Look what we have done today! Look how far our country has come! I really was unsure about the outcome of this election, I don't think I ever truly believed that his race would be overlooked. But it was and I am so happy for you and and what that means for your future. I hope that your future will be full of equal opportunity for you as a woman and everyone as an American citizen. We can now believe that anything is possible! Maybe.....hopefully - you will see the first woman elected President as well. We came pretty close to that this year too!

I love you so much Megan. Anything is possible for you!

Love, Mama

No comments: